How to Attach a Guest Service to a Room Charge Code
For properties that are using Guest Services in the PMS, it is possible to attach a Guest Service to a Room Charge Transaction Code, so that it posts nightly along with the Room Charge code.
In this article, we will be building a "Resort Fee" Guest Service, and attaching it to our "Room Charge" Transaction Code, so that it will post on a nightly basis along with the Room Charge.
In order to set up a Guest Service to auto post with a Room Charge transaction code, there are certain steps that must be taken to ensure everything is set up correctly in the PMS. We will review the steps in the following order of operations:
- Confirm that the Transaction Code the Guest Service will be based on, exists in the Transaction Code module. (If not, it will need to be created. Please see How to set up a Transaction Code for more information)
- Ensure the Transaction Code is set up to repeat as desired (Per Stay, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly, and Per Person or Per Room)
- Confirm the Guest Service has been created, and the Transaction Code has been attached to it. If not, the Guest Service will need to be created.
- Ensure the Guest Service is set up to repeat identically to the original Transaction Code it is based off
- Finally, attach the Guest Service to the desired Room Charge Transaction code (in the Transaction Codes module)
1. Transaction Codes
2. Check the "Repeatable" Rules
3. Guest Services
4. Ensure the "Repeatable" matches
- The "Resort Fee" Transaction Code was set to repeat daily, per room. In order for the Guest Service to post properly, it must also have the same "Repeatable" rule.
- Because there is a charge associated with this Guest Service, it must be based on a Transaction Code, so that when it posts, the PMS knows what to do with the revenue (as this refers back to the GL Accounts that have been attached to the original "Resort Fee" transaction code).
If all is correctly set up here, exit the Guest Services module.
5. Attaching the Guest Service to the Room Charge Transaction Code
The final step is to attach the Guest Service to the Room Charge Transaction code. To do this, go to System Configuration > Transaction Codes.
- Select Room Charge from the list on the right
- Select the desired Room Charge transaction code at the top
- Choose the Services tab
- Click the Add button
- Click the Guest Service drop down list, and choose the desired Guest Service from the list. TIP: If you grouped the Guest Service into a Service Grouping, you can click on the Service Groupings drop down first, to help narrow the list of services.
- Click OK to add this Guest Service to the Room Charge transaction code
NOTE: The Segment# refers to the day you wish the Guest Service to post on (ie. Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 etc..). In this example, because the "Resort Fee" is a daily posting, the Segment# will remain as the default, #1.
Creating a New Reservation
Now that the "Resort Fee" Guest Service has been attached to the "Room Charge" transaction code, every time a new reservation is made using the "Room Charge" transaction code, the "Resort Fee" will automatically append itself to the reservation.