City Ledger- Account Overview
This article provides a basic overview of City Ledger Accounts, how to view them, and the different functions that are available.
When first opening the City Ledger (Operations > City Ledger), you will be on the Accounts Listing tab. This tab displays a list of all Active and Open Accounts that have a current balance (open invoices) on them.
On this screen you will see:
- Account # - this number is automatically assigned in numerical sequence when a City Ledger Account is created, and cannot be changed
- Account Name – the name of the City Ledger Account.
- Contact Name – the main contact for the City Ledger Account.
- Invoice Balances - the total balance of all invoices that are due
- Payment Credits – the total amount of Payment Credits that this City Ledger Account has remaining.
Show Zero Balance Accounts
Viewing Closed Accounts
Go To Account in List
To view more information on a specific City Ledger Account, you can either double click on the Account Name or click once on the Account Name (ensure the black arrow is pointing towards the account you wish to select) and press the View Details button located at the top of the screen. This action will open the Account Master.
When you first enter the City Ledger Account Master you will be in the Account Statistics tab. From this tab you can view the following information:
- Account Activated On - shows the date the City Ledger Account was created
- Account Status - this section shows:
Aged Balance of the account - (Current, 30-59 Days, 60-89 Days, 90 Days and Over, Total Balance Due)
Account Credit Limit - the credit limit of this account
Existing Payment Credits on Account - payment credits are pre-payments or over payments that were made on the City Ledger account. They can be applied towards the payment of future invoices
Remaining Credit Balance - the total Account Credit Limit + Existing Payment Credits on Account
- Summary of Invoices - this section shows:
Last Create Invoice - the date the last invoice was created
Last Payment Date - the date of the last payment posted
Highest Balance - the highest owing balance on an invoice within this City Ledger Account
Average Days to Pay Invoice - on average, how many days it takes to pay an invoice for this City Ledger Account`
Print Statement Button
Account Payment History Button
Apply Account Credit & Close Buttons
- Apply Account Credit – this button allows you to apply Payment Credits to this City Ledger Account. To learn more about applying Payment Credits, please see the article How to Assign Payment Credits to a City Ledger Account in the City Ledger Manual.
- Close – allows you to exit the City Ledger Account
The next tab located in the City Ledger Account Master is the Account Details tab. This tab is where you will find all the address and contact information for this City Ledger Account. It is from this tab that you can increase/decrease the Credit Limit of a City Ledger Account as well as attach Master Accounts (via the Billing Address & Master Account Setup tab).
What is a Master Account? If you have a company with multiple different branches, a Master Account can be used to tie these branches together so when you do a search for the Master Account, a list of all the corresponding branches appear as well. For example, Bank of the World is a City Ledger Account in your PMS. Many different branches of Bank of the World stay at your property and each branch has their own City Account under their own Branch name (ie: XYZ Bank, ABC Bank). By attaching the Bank of the World Master Account to each of these branches, when you do a search for Bank of the World, a list of all the branches will appear as well. For more information on how to tie a City Ledger Account to a Master Account, please see the article What is a Master Account and How Does it Work? in the City Ledger Manual.
The Invoices tab displays a list of all invoices with a balance that are tied to this City Ledger Account. Various functions can be performed within this tab.
- Show Zero Balance Invoices – check this box to view all invoices, including those with a $0.00 balance
- New Invoice – select this button to create a new invoice (the Invoice Name will automatically populate with the Account Name, but can be changed in the Invoice Details area)
- Print Invoice – prints an invoice for whichever invoice is selected from the list about (ensure the black arrow is pointing towards the correct invoice before pressing this button)
- Invoice Detail – takes you to the Details of Invoice screen so that you may view more details regarding a selected invoice.
- Post Charge – allows you to post a charge to an invoice
- Pay Invoice – allows you to post a payment to an invoice
- Transfer – allows you to transfer a selected invoice to a different City Ledger Account
- Close – allows you to exit the City Ledger Account Master
The Notes tab allows you to enter internal notes regarding this City Ledger Account. They will not print out on any statements, and are intended for internal communication only.
To add a note, select the New button in the top right hand corner of the screen and then type you note in the box below. Select the Save button that appears to save the note to the City Ledger Account. All notes are time/date stamped and show the name of the clerk that posted the note. To delete a note, make sure the black arrow is pointed to the desired note on the left side, then click the Delete button in the top right.
The final tab in the City Ledger Account Master screen is the Credits tab. This tab will only appear if the City Ledger Account contains Payment Credits.
To view more details on a Payment Credit, select the transaction in the list above (ensure the black arrow is pointing towards the correct Payment Credit) and then click the Payment Details button located in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.
From the Payment Details screen, you can do the following:
- Reverse Batch Payment –allows you to reverse a payment
- Go to Payment Invoice – takes you to the invoice where the payment was applied
- Log tab – shows you a log file of all the transactions that occurred with this Payment Credit (when it was originally posted, payments, reversals, etc…)