How to Create an Online Booking Promotion with a Discounted Rate
The following article reviews how to create an Online Booking Promotion that offers a discount on Rates.
NOTE: Rate Plans to be used for Online Booking Promotions MUST be placed under the Rate Category ONLINE PROMOTION in the Rate Wizard.
Step 1: Create the Rate Plan in the Rate Wizard
The first step to creating an Online Booking Promotion for eRes is to create the Rate Plan for the Promotion. When creating the new Rate Plan, ensure that the Rate Category “ONLINE PROMOTION” is selected, and the Hotel Website Rate Type is checked.
For more information on creating a rate plan, please refer to the article How to create a Rate Plan using the Rate Wizard in the Rates manual.
NOTE: The rate set on the new rate plan should reflect the desired Promotional Rate. For example, if the rate is to be 10% off Best Available Rate, then the Promotional Rate should be set to tier at 10% of the Best Available Rate.
Step 2: Attach Rate to Client Type
Attach the Promotional Rate Plan to the Online Booking (Web) Client Type.
For more information on attaching rates to Client Types, please see the article How to attach a Rate to a Client Type in the Rates manual.
Step 3: Creating the Online Booking Promotion
Note: This module requires the following clerk permissions
- Operation > 1544 Eres Configuration
- System Configuration > 1554 Eres Premium
Proceed to System Configuration > Online Booking Promotions. Click Add New, and fill in the following information:
- Promo Name – the name of the Promotion
- Active – check this box to make the Promotion active
- Is Amount – check this box if the Promotion being offered is a discount based on a dollar amount. If the Promotion is based on a percentage, leave this box unchecked
- Discount – enter the amount or percentage of the discount. NOTE: The discount entered here does not actually affect the Promotional Rate itself; the discount should have already been applied in the Rate Wizard when the Promotional Rate was created. The discount entered here simply allows eRes to display the discounted amount online. So if your Promotional Rate is set to $180.00, the PMS will calculate $200 - 10% = $180, so it will show the original rate (the one below with the strikethrough) as $200.00
- Date From/Date To – the date the promotion begins & ends
- Start Time/End Time – if the promotion is only meant to run during certain times of the day, then set a Start & End time. If the promotion is meant to run 24hrs a day during the selected date range, then leave this area blank
Cutoff Days - By setting a Cutoff Day, you are telling eRes that this Rate is not available 'X' Days before booking and Is Valid:
- Inside the days prior to arrival date – If Cutoff Days are set to 30, the Promotion will become available for booking 30 days prior to the arrival date
Outside the days prior to the arrival date – If Cutoff Days are set to 30, the Promotion will start immediately, and only be available until 30 days prior to arrival, at which point it will no longer be available
- NOTE: If the Cutoff Days are set to 0, this means that the Promotion is only available TODAY. If the Cutoff Days are left blank, this means no Cutoff Day restrictions are in place
- Description – A short description of the Promotion. This will appear just below the Book Now button on eRes
- Abandonment – If this promotion is meant to only be viewable when someone tries to abandon a reservation and quit the page, check this box. For more information on this feature, please see the article How to Create an Abandonment Online Promotion in the eRes Booking Engine manual
- Require Coupon/Coupon Code – if this Promotion is only available to guests that enter a specific Coupon Code, check the Require Coupon box, and enter the Coupon Code to be used. If a Coupon Code is set up, guests must enter the Coupon Code into the Do you have a coupon? area of eRes, in order for the promotion to appear. If a Coupon Code is not set up, the Promotion will display and be bookable for everyone during the dates of the Promotion
Click OK to save.
Step 4: Attach the Rate Plan to the Promotion
The next step is to attach the associated Promotional Rate to the desired Room Types the promotion is being offered on. Check the box next to each Room Type being offered.
When done, click Update at the bottom.
The Online Promotion will now appear on the eRes Online Booking Engine.
Final Notes on Promotions
As a rule, when a Promotional rate is running on eRes, no other Rates will display except for the Online Promotion Rate. For other rates (ie: Best Available Rate, AAA, etc..) to continue to display at the same time as the Online Promotion Rate, the Special Rate feature must be enabled on each of the other individual Rates. When enabled on a rate plan, the Special Rate feature exempts the selected rate from the rule surrounding Promotional Rates. Special Rate should NOT be checked on the Promotional Rate itself.
Conversely, when a Promotional Rate is being run with a Coupon Code (set on the promotion in the Online Booking Promotions module), the Promotion will only show when the code is entered. Once the code is entered however, it will be the only rate the booker will see.
To enable Special Rate:
- Go to System Configuration > Rate Wizard and select the desired Rate Plan (ie. Best Available Rate, AAA, AARP etc...)
- Click the Edit Rate button
- Check the box next to Special Rate to allow this rate to show on eRes in conjunction with the Promotional Rate
- Click Update to save
Repeat these steps for all rates that are to be displayed in conjunction with the Online Booking Promotion.