How to Setup & Sell a Gift Certificate
Some properties sell and redeem their own Gift Certificates. It is a "Best Practice" to use the City Ledger to track Gift Certificates, as it will provide information on how many were sold, and for how much. At a glance, it is easy to see how much revenue is tied up in purchased Gift Certificates, and how much revenue has yet to be redeemed.
Transaction Codes and GL Accounts
The first step to using Gift Certificates within the PMS is to create a General Ledger Account that will be used for Gift Certificates.
- Go to System Configuration > Transaction Codes > GL Accounts tab
- Click Add to create a new GL Account
- Enter the information as show below
- Click Ok to save
NOTE: A General Ledger Account & Transaction Code only need to be setup once.
- The Date From will automatically populate with today’s date, leave the Date To blank
- Click in the empty box under Debit and use the drop down menu to select the Gift Certificates GL Account. Once it is selected in the Debit field, it will automatically populate in the CL Debit field as well. It should appear EXACTLY as in the image below
- Select OK to save
Selling a Gift Certificate
A Gift Certificate City Ledger Account should be created, and used to help track Gift Certificates. Open the City Ledger (Operations > City Ledger) and locate the Gift Certificate Account, or create one if none exists. (For more information on creating a City Ledger Account, please see the article How to Create a City Account in the City Ledger module).
NOTE: If the Gift Certificate Account has a $0.00 balance, you will need to check the Show Zero Balance Accounts check-box at the bottom of the screen in order to view the City Ledger Account.
How to Check-In a Guest with a Gift Certificate
In this example Andrea Jones arrives at the hotel to check-in and she gives you the gift certificate GC12345 with a credit of $200.00 to go towards her stay. After completing the check-in process, continue with the next steps.
The payment screen will appear, fill in the following information:
- Transaction Code – select the Gift Certificate payment transaction code
- Reference – enter the Gift Certificate number that is being redeemed
- Payment Amount – enter the amount of the Gift Certificate as a NEGATIVE number (ie: - 200.00)
Exit the City Ledger and return to the Guest Folio. Select the Post Payment button and post the payment amount of the Gift Certificate to the guest folio.
- Pmt Code – select your Gift Certificate payment transaction code
- Reference – input the Gift Certificate number being used
- Amount – enter the amount of the Gift Certificate being redeemed
- Select OK/Exit to post the payment