How to Setup your PMS to Send Email Confirmations
In this article we will show you how how to Setup your PMS to send email confirmations.
Configuring the settings in the PMS
Using settings provided to you by your Email Service Provider, the PMS has the ability to email Reservation Confirmations, Guest Folios and City Ledger Invoices.
Prior to opening the PMS, contact your Email Service Provider and ask them for the following information:
- Email Host System Name – also known as SMTP (ie: smtp.gmail.com)
- Email User Account – this is the email account that you will be using to send email confirmations (ie: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Secure Password Authentication – required if your email service provider needs a password for outgoing mail. This may be the same password used to login to the above “Email User Account” or it may be a completely different password.
- SMTP Port # - the port number that is required to send outgoing mail
If you use Outlook, you may be able to retrieve the required settings yourself. In most cases the required information could be retrieved from your Outlook Account Settings. Below is an example from Microsoft Outlook 2007. In Outlook Go to → Tools → Account Settings.
- Everything within this tab is tied to the Windows Registry of your computer; therefore, this tab must be set up on each individual computer.
- Should each staff member have their own Windows Login, each person will need to setup this Registry Tab on each computer that they use while logged in under their own Windows Login.
- Any files attached within this section must be saved some where on the computer so that the PMS can browse for the file to attach it. If the file gets deleted from the computer, it will then be deleted from the Registry area in the PMS.
Fill in the following information:
- Email Host System Name (smtp.yourisp.com) – enter information provided by your Email Service Provider
- Email User Account (property account) – enter information provided by your Email Service Provider (usually the email address you will use to send from)
- Email will be “From” this address (email@example.com) – this is what will appear in the “From” field when an email confirmation is set out. You may choose to put your email address or your property name.
- Secure Password Authentication – if required, check this box and then enter information provided by your Email Service Provider
- Email is Available – check this box to activate the RoomKey Email function.
- SMTP Port # – enter information provided by your Email Service Provider. If this field is left blank, the default port will be 25.
- Email Type – what format do you want your emails to send in? HTML looks better, however, some email accounts do not accept HTML format and in that case TEXT may be better. NOTE: You are also given the option between HTML & TEXT before sending the email.
- Attach HTML Copy – attaches a HTML copy of the confirmation to emails that are sent
- TLS Required – this box must be checked if you are using email accounts like Hotmail, Yahoo, Google, any email accounts that you are able to sign up to for free.
Once all the information has been entered remember to click on “Post Changes to the Registry” to save the email settings.
In order to test to see that your email settings have been entered correctly, select a reservation and try to email a confirmation. If you are unsure how to email a confirmation, please consult the corresponding section of this document. If the email sends successfully, then your email settings have been entered correctly. If the email does not send, please consult the corresponding section of this document for troubleshooting tips.