How to Create a User (Clerk) in the PMS
The following article explains how to create users for the PMS. Whether created as an Owner/Administrator, Clerk or Accountant, anyone that will be using the PMS will require a user profile with login credentials, and a set of permissions defining their access level in the system.
Adding a User
- Go to System Configuration > Clerks to open the Clerks Module
- Click on Add in the Details tab
Fill in the required fields:
- Login Name - User names are system wide; therefore each user name must be unique
- Password - The password must be strong, and will need to be changed every 90 days. Click the Password button to view the restrictions, and enter it
- First Name - Enter the user's first name
- Last Name - Enter the user's last name (the first and last name will appear on folio printouts, so if privacy of the user is a concern, only enter an initial for the last name)
- Initials - User's initials
- Main User Role - The definition between a Clerk and an Accountant may vary greatly depending on the size of a property. Because certain permissions are not available to those roles, and the user may be required to perform functions outside of those restrictions, the recommended option is to create all users as Owners, then take away the permissions they do not need.
Click Post to save changes.
Proceed to the Permissions tab.
The Permissions tab is split into two sides; Permissions Available, and Permissions Granted. Using the Give and Take buttons, permissions can be moved from one side to another, creating a custom set for a user.
By clicking the + icon next to a category (Export/Import, Guest Management, Operations etc...), the category will expand and display all permission associated with it.
NOTE: The PMS does have several "Reverse Permissions". When a reverse permission is given, it will prevent a user from performing a task. For example, under Reservation Management there is permission 1537 - Disallow Reversals / Adjustments / Moves. When this permission is given to a user, it will prevent them from performing reversals, adjustments, and moves on a transaction posting.
It is possible to copy and paste a set of permissions from one user to another, as long as they are in the same Main User Role (Owner, Clerk, or Accountant). For example, an Owner's permissions could not be copied to a Clerk, or Accountant, or vice-versa. However, a Clerk's permissions can be copied to another Clerk, or an Owner's to another Owner, etc...
- To Copy permissions, select the user with the permissions to be copied, right click on their name and select Copy
- To Paste the permissions, select the desired user, right click on their name and select Paste
IP Addresses (Optional setup)
It is possible to restrict the IP Addresses that a user can log into the PMS from. This is useful in preventing staff from logging in while off property.
- On the IPs tab, enter the IP Addresses of the computers that the user is allowed to access the PMS from. After the IP Address has been entered, click Add.
- Repeat this step until all necessary IP Addresses have been added to the list on the left
NOTE: Any questions regarding IP Addresses at the property should be directed to a System Administrator, not the PMS Support Team.