Upselling vs. Upgrading a Room Upon Check-In
The following article explains the difference between performing a complimentary upgrade and upselling a guest, and outlines the steps for each process.
Upselling versus Upgrading
What is the difference between Upselling & Upgrading?
- Upselling â when you sell a higher room type to a guest for a higher price. For example: Mr. Smith originally booked a Standard King Room and upon check-in agrees to pay an extra $50.00 per night for the Deluxe King Room.
- Upgrading â when you move a guest to a higher room type for free. For example: Upon check-in you learn it is Mr. & Mrs. Jonesâ Anniversary, and you decide to complimentary upgrade them from a Deluxe Room to an Executive Suite.
How to perform an Upsell during Check-In
If you are upselling a guest, ensure to click on the appropriate guest reservation (ensure the black arrow is pointing towards the correct guests name). Either double click on the Reservation, or select the âChange Resâ button at the top of your screen.
In this example, Ms. Ashcroft was originally paying $400.00 per night for a Courtyard View room (CVK) but has agreed to pay $80.00 more a night for an Ocean View room, making her new rate $480.00.
When we look at the available rates for the OVK, we see the Best Available Rate is $500.00. In this situation, we would need to override the Best Available Rate to be $480.00 as this is the rate that was agreed upon.
NOTE: For reporting accuracy purposes you should avoid always avoid using Manual Rates if possible.
Overriding the Rate
- To override the rate, select the âEnable Rate Overridingâ box at the bottom of your screen.
- Choose a reason for the Rate Override (this "Reason" list is customizable and may be different at your property)
NOTE: Depending on your permissions in the PMS, you may need a managerâs assistance to override a rate.
Once the Enable Rate Overriding box has been checked, proceed to change the rate by manually typing in the agreed upon rate.
If you are changing the Rate for the entire stay, enter the new rate under the Average Rate column. If you are changing the Rate for specific dates, enter the rate under the appropriate date column.
How to perform an Upgrade during Check-In
If you are complimentary upgrading a guest during check-in, you can do it directly within the Check-in Box.
- Ensure to click on the appropriate guest reservation (ensure the black arrow is pointing towards the correct guests name)
- Select the âCheck-Inâ button at the top of your screen.
Viewing Available Rooms
Choosing a new room
A list of all available rooms for every room type will appear. Locate the Room Number & Room Type that you wish to upgrade this guest too. In this example, we will be upgrading Mr. Duncan to room 509 (OVSK).
NOTE: This box also shows you the Housekeeping Status of each of the guestrooms.
- Green - Inspected
- Yellow - Clean (but not Inspected)
- Red - Dirty
Select the OK button to change the guest reservation.