How to View a Guest Folio
The following article explains how to use the Guest Folio view in the PMS.
Locating the Correct Folio
To view charges that appear on the Guest Folio, first locate the Guest whose folio you wish to view (ensure the black arrow is pointing towards the appropriate guest) and then select the âFolioâ tab at the bottom of the screen.
NOTE: Room Charges will not appear on a Guest Folio until they are checked in. The most you would see on upcoming reservations is an Advance Deposit Payment.
The Folio Views
Folio 0 - "All Folios" View
Folios 1-6 and 10+ - The Guest Folios
Folio 1 to 6 and 10+ â Folio 1 displays the charges for the main guest found on the reservation. Folio 2 to 6 and 10+ are usually used to place charges that belong to any other guest(s) that are sharing the room, but can also be used to separate a guest's bill (for example: a guest may want their Room & Tax charges on Folio 1 and their Incidental charges on Folio 2). If you select folio 2, the display screen will only show charges that belong to Folio 2.
NOTE: Folio 7 is not an available folio in the PMS due to programming reasons.
Folio 8 - Third Party Payments & Direct Bill
- Refresh â this button is used to update the Guest Folio so you can ensure you are looking at all the most up to date posting.
- Move â this button is used to move a charge(s) to a different folio number.
- Select â this button can be used to highlight multiple postings at once so you can move them all at one time.
Enabling the "Do Not Show Adjustments" option in the Folio Appearance Settings will allow the folio to only show the net amount of the posting and applied adjustment.
In this example, the first line "Photo Copies" is the original posting to the Guest Folio. The second line indicates the Transfer Out to another folio. This line also tells us that it was transferred to Reservation ID 1361, Folio 1.
These lines can be hidden from the folio view by using the "Do Not Show Transferred Transactions" option in the Folio Appearance Settings.
- Do Not Show Transferred Transactions - Check this box to hide the line showing "Transfer Out" from the originating Folio's view. The "Transfer In" icon will still display on the destination folio, to show where the charge originally came from.
- Do Not Show Reversed Transactions - This option was designed for an older version of the PMS, and is no longer applicable.
- Do Not Show Adjustments - Check this box to hide the separate line postings for adjustments. When this option is off, the folio will display the original posting on one line, and the adjustment on another. When this option is enabled, the folio will show the net amount of the original posting and any adjustment to it, all on one line.
The Folio Headers
The next set of columns display the postings to a Guest Folio.
- # - indicate the Folio Number of the posting
- Date â indicates the date the posting was made
- TCode â indicates the PMS Transaction Code that corresponds with the posting
- Description â shows a detailed description of the posting
- Amount â the base amount for the posting
- Tax â the corresponding tax for the amount posted
- Total â the base amount + the tax amount
- Voucher - displays any Voucher Numbers that were entered into the Post Charges screen while posting a charge in the PMS.
- Room Charge â total Room Charges (both positive & negative)
- Other Charges â total Other Charges (both positive & negative)
- Tax â total Tax for all charges (both positive & negative)
- Total â the total of all Room Charges, Other Charges and Taxes
- Credit â total Payments (both positive & negative)
- Balance â when the total appears in black, it is the amount the guest owes us. When the total appears in red (or brackets around it), it is the amount that we owe the guest.
- Credit Limit âthe guests total credit limit
- Available Credit â displays how much additional credit does the guest have to go towards incidental charges
"Now" versus "Stay" view
At the bottom of the Summary box are the radio buttons âNowâ and âStayâ.
- Now displays only the current charges that are posted to the guest folio.
- Stay displays all current charges + any projected future charges that will be posted to the guest folio, including any scheduled Guest Services. Â This allows you to see an estimate of what the final bill will be (pending no additional incidental charges).
TIP: It is very important that you go back to your âNowâ view when finished to avoid any confusion when looking at a Guest Folio.