How to Post a Payment
The following article explains how to post a payment to a folio in the PMS.
Locate the Reservation
To post a payment to a guest folio, ensure the black arrow is pointing towards the guest who you wish to post the payment too and then select the âPost Paymentâ button.
The Payments box
Next, enter the following information:
- Folio â select the folio number where you would like the payment to post. You may select to create a new folio number from this drop down menu or select an existing folio number.
- PmtCode â select the appropriate Payment Transaction Code that corresponds with the payment you would like to post.
- Reference â the reference area will automatically populate with a description of the Transaction Code you selected. You may replace or add any text you wish into appear in the Reference Field.
- Number â if the guest is paying with a Credit Card you would enter the card number here. If the guest is paying by Cheque, you can enter the cheque number here. This field will not populate if the guest is paying by Cash.
- Authorization (Optional) â this field only appears when the guest is paying with a Credit Card. Enter the 3 digit number found on the back of the guest Credit Card
- Expiry Date â this field only appears when the guest is paying with a Credit Card. Enter the Credit Card expiry date.
- Select from Extra Cards â if the guest has an additional Credit Card attached to their Guest Profile, you may click this button to select one of the other Credit Cards as the method of payment
- Card Holder â this field only appears when the guest is paying with a Credit Card. Enter the name found on the Credit Card.
- Amount â the amount owing on the Guest Folio will automatically populate in this field. You may change this number if you wish.
Tip: If you are unable to change the Amount located in the Payments box it is because you have the Clerks Operations Permission â 1536 called Restricted Payments. Speak to your manager about removing this permission from your Clerk Login ID.
Using the Currency Converter
Currencies â if your Management Team has setup the Currency area of the PMS (System Configuration -> Property -> Currency Tab) then you will be able to use the âCurrenciesâ button to help calculate how much foreign currency will be needed to cover the guest bill.
- To use the Currencies feature, click on the âCurrenciesâ button and then enter the dollar amount of the currency the guest has presented to you in the âCurrency Presented by Guestâ box.
- Next, click the button next to âConvert to Currencyâ to select the currency the guest has presented to you.
Choosing a Currency
Reviewing the Conversion
The currency converter will then display how much the currency is worth in local dollars (Converted Total), the total amount of the guest bill (Original Amount) and how much change you owe the guest in local dollars (Change Due).
Close out to return to the Payment screen.
NOTE: The currency converter simply shows you what you would owe the guest; it does not post the payment, or record the conversion in the PMS.