How to Post a Payment
The following article explains how to post a payment to a folio.
Note: the same process can be followed to process a refund by posting a negative amount
Locate the Reservation
To post a payment to a guest folio, ensure the black arrow is pointing towards the guest who you wish to post the payment too and then select the Post Payment button.
The Payments box
Next, enter the following information:
- Folio select the folio number where you would like the payment to post. You may select to create a new folio number from this drop down menu or select an existing folio number.
- PmtCode select the appropriate Payment Transaction Code that corresponds with the payment you would like to post.
- Disable on-line processing will show if you are connected to a payment processor. This allows a payment to be posted to a folio, but will NOT charge the credit card. See disable on-line processing for more information
- Reference the reference area will automatically populate with a description of the Transaction Code you selected. You may replace or add any text you wish into appear in the Reference Field.
- Number if the guest is paying with a Credit Card you would enter the card number here. If the guest is paying by Cheque, you can enter the cheque number here. This field will not populate if the guest is paying by Cash.
- Authorization (Optional) this field only appears when the guest is paying with a Credit Card. Enter the 3 digit number found on the back of the guest Credit Card
- Expiry Date this field only appears when the guest is paying with a Credit Card. Enter the Credit Card expiry date.
- Select from Extra Cards if the guest has an additional Credit Card attached to their Guest Profile, you may click this button to select one of the other Credit Cards as the method of payment
- Card Holder this field only appears when the guest is paying with a Credit Card. Enter the name found on the Credit Card.
- Amount the amount owing on the Guest Folio will automatically populate in this field. You may change this number if you wish.
Tip: If you are unable to change the Amount located in the Payments box it is because you have the Clerks Operations Permission 1536 called Restricted Payments. Speak to your manager about removing this permission from your Clerk Login ID.
Using the Currency Converter
Currencies if your Management Team has setup the Currency area of the PMS (System Configuration -> Property -> Currency Tab) then you will be able to use the Currencies button to help calculate how much foreign currency will be needed to cover the guest bill.
- To use the Currencies feature, click on the Currencies button and then enter the dollar amount of the currency the guest has presented to you in the âCurrency Presented by Guestâ box.
- Next, click the button next to Convert to Currency to select the currency the guest has presented to you.
Choosing a Currency
Once you have located the currency in the list, click on the currency so the black arrow is pointing towards it and then select the OK button below.
Reviewing the Conversion
The currency converter will then display how much the currency is worth in local dollars (Converted Total), the total amount of the guest bill (Original Amount) and how much change you owe the guest in local dollars (Change Due).
Close out to return to the Payment screen.
NOTE: The currency converter simply shows you what you would owe the guest; it does not post the payment, or record the conversion in the PMS.
Posting the payment
Once the appropriate information has been entered, select OK/Exit to post the payment to the Guest Folio.
NOTE: You can select OK/New is you wish to post a 2nd payment right away without 1st returning to the Guest Folio.
Viewing the Payment
The Payment will now appear on the Guest Folio.
Payments, both negative & positive, appear as Credits under the Summary Area.