Understanding the Rollover Period in the PMS
As there is no manual "End of Day" sequence in the PMS, and you are not required to press a "Night Audit" button, the date will rollover automatically at 12:00AM midnight each night, along with the system clock of your computer. At this time, the PMS will post the following day's Room & Tax to all in-house reservations.
Since many Front Desk operations are 24 hours, and the typical industry standard is to "rollover" at or around 3:00AM, the "Rollover" function in the PMS is a way of emulating this to minimize interruptions in regular procedures.
For example, if a guest arrives at 2am, most properties will want to check that guest in and charge them for the current night, but because it is after midnight, the system will already be on the new business day. The Rollover in the PMS allows you to set a "grace period" where you are still able to check the guest into the previous business day, and charge the room & tax for the current night to the correct date in the system.
If a rollover time of 3:00AM is set, then a guest could be checked into the previous business day from any time after midnight, up to 2:59:59am. At 3:00AM, the PMS will officially consider the business date to have rolled over, and other manual steps will need to be taken to check the guest in.
Setting your Rollover Period in the PMS
It is recommended that you set your Rollover to a time that is best for your operation. With a 24 Hour Front Desk, it is best practice to set it for 3:00AM. It is recommended that once the Rollover time is set, that it is not changed, as changing it can negatively affect your PMS balancing.
NOTE: If you do not have a 24 Hour Front Desk, the Rollover time for your operation may be different. Please consult with your PMS trainer to establish the best option for your operations, given the tasks that will need to be performed during Night Audit procedures.
To set your Rollover, go to System Configuration > Property > Rollover
- At the top of the screen you will see the "Rollover Allowed" checkbox. Check this box to enable the Rollover in the PMS.
- The "Stop At" field is where you enter the time that you wish the Rollover to run at. (3:00AM is the recommended time)
- Checking the "Previous Day By Default" will set the rule that any "Selected Codes" posted after midnight and up until the "Stop At" time will automatically post to the previous business day.
- The list of "Available Codes" represent all the transaction and payment codes currently created in the PMS.
- The list of "Selected Codes" represent all the codes that will be affected by the Rollover time set.
To set the Rollover time in the PMS:
- Check the Rollover Allowed box
- Set the Stop At time
- Check Previous day by default
- Using the arrow button, move transactions from the Available Codes box to the Selected Codes box until all codes you wish to have affected by the Rollover are moved over. It is recommended that all codes except "City Ledger Transfer" be moved over. (Because "City Ledger Transfer" is a payment code that settles accounts in the PMS and creates invoices on the City Ledger, this code should not be moved.)
- Click Post to save your changes
The Rollover time is now correctly set for the PMS.