- Does your property require a booking deposit?
- Do you take a reservation prepayment before guests arrive?
- Have you ever had to adjust or refund a credit card payment after guest check-out?
If you answer "YES" to any of the questions above, the following article will describe how to use RoomKeyPMS Payments Powered By Fullsteam to reverse or adjust/refund a payment that was originally processed using a different payment processor (such as Shift4, Heartland, TranSafe, or MerchantLink). This process can only be performed within 180-days of your Fullsteam initialization date (AKA: the date that you start using RoomKeyPMS Payments Powered By Fullsteam). If you need access to this function beyond the 180-day limit, Click Here to access the exception refund access agreement document.
This information is not applicable if the original payment was processed using RoomKeyPMS Payments Powered By Fullsteam; for more information about reversing or adjusting payments made with Fullsteam, please see the following article: How to Reverse or Adjust/Refund a Payment Using RoomKeyPMS Payments Powered By Fullsteam
How Does It Work?
In the following example: a prepaid guest called to complain about the noise from the room next door during their stay and insists on a discount. You offer to adjust 1/2 of the $100 room charge; thus a $50 refund has been made on the RCH Room Charge transaction. And now a $50 refund must be given back to the guest credit card.
For this example, please note:
- The guest's prepayment was made using Shift4, but the property is now using RoomKeyPMS Payments Powered By Fullsteam
- A Token Wipe is performed when transitioning from Shift4 to RoomKeyPMS Payments Powered By Fullsteam.
- Tokens contain encrypted credit card information, including Transaction ID
- For fraud & security reasons, Fullsteam does not allow negative payments to be made to a Credit Card without an original Transaction ID
- When a reversals or adjustment/refunds are made without referencing an original Transaction ID, they are considered "Unlinked Refunds"
The guest's full credit card number, expiry date and card holder name are required for this process. The credit card number being refunded MUST match the credit card number that was charged. If the numbers do not match the refund will not process successfully.
- In the Folio tab, Right-Click on the payment transaction and select Adjustment
- In the Refund window, complete the following:
- Refunding Amount - this amount cannot exceed the original posted amount
- Reason - why the refund is occurring
- Card Number - the card number MUST match the original card number being processed. Right click on the original posting and select "Credit Card Info" to verify the last 4 digits of the card.
- *Expiry - enter the expiry date of the card being refunded
- *Card Holder Name - enter the Card Holder Name of the card being refunded
- *Expiry & Card Holder Name do not have to be exact as new Credit Cards can be issues with updated Expiry Dates and/or Name Changes. As long as the Card Number is correct the transaction will proceed to the next step to be processed by Fullsteam.
- Select the OK button
- In the Fullsteam popup window, select the Post button
- When the Approved message appears, select the Close button
Refunds under this method are only available up to 180-days after going live with Fullsteam. If you try to refund after 180 days an error will occur (see below). If you need to use this feature past 180-days, follow the steps in the How to Request an Extension of the Exception Refund Access (ERA) section below
Click below for more information:
- Click the document above to download a copy of the Exception Refund Access Agreement
- Read the Exception Refund Access Agreement document
- If you have an Adobe PDF editor subscription, add your signature, signature date, etc. and save a copy of the signed document
- If you do not have an Adobe PDF editor subscription, Print this document and add your signature, signature date etc. and Scan a copy of the signed document
- Send a copy of the signed document to [email protected] via email
- A ticket number reference will be assigned once your email is sent, and then a follow up email with the ticket number reference will be sent when the extension is confirmed