This article provides a basic overview of what Invoices look like in the City Ledger Module, including how to view them, and the different functions available.
There are two different ways to search for Invoices in the City Ledger.
- Using the Search button
- Using the Open Invoices tab
Click the Search button located at the top of your screen.
There are various ways to search for a specific invoice, they include:
- Based on the Invoice Number
- Based on the Reservation ID of the guest reservation whose charges were transferred to the City Ledger
- Based on a PO Number that was assigned to an Invoice. If you are searching by Invoice ID, Res ID or PO Number, check the box beside Invoices/Reservations and select the corresponding dial based on how you wish to perform your search.
NOTE: Searching by Payment ID or Cheque # will take you to the Payment History Tab where you can see the Payment Detail for a specific invoice. This area is reviewed in the Payment History Overview section of this document.
Once you have entered your search criteria, select the OK button.
You will then be brought to the Open Invoices tab where your Invoice will display in the list above. Double click on the invoice to open it. Note: The Print button located at the top of the screen can be used at this time to print the invoice. It can also be used if you wish to print an invoice listing report for this specific account.
Proceed to the Open Invoices tab located at the bottom of your screen.
Use the search field to locate the City Ledger Account where the Invoice is located. You may select the account from the list below, or type in the name of the account, account phone number or account contact name and select the Search button to bring up the account. Once the account is located, click on the Select button to view all open invoices for this City Ledger Account.
All open invoices will now appear in the list below. To search for a specific invoice number, use the Go to Invoice in List (Invoice ID) search field located to the right hand side of your screen. Once you have located the Invoice you wish to view, double click on the invoice to view its details.
When you first enter the Details for Invoice screen you will be in the Details tab. From this tab you can view the following:
- Invoice Number – the number assigned to this invoice
- Invoice Date – the date & time the invoice was created
- Age – how old the invoice is (days)
- Invoice Name – the name on the invoice. This can be changed by using the Change Invoice Name button to the right
- PO Number – the PO number assigned to this invoice. This can be added/changed by selecting the Change PO Number button to the right
- Transferred Amount – if this invoice contains charges that were transferred from a Guest Folio, the amount of those will be reflected here
- Charge – the amount of charges that were manually posted to this invoice
- Payment – the amount of payments that were manually posted to this invoice
- Total Balance Due – calculated as follows: Transferred Amount + Charges – Payments
- Print Invoice (available in all tabs) – prints a copy of the Invoice.
- Post Charge – allows you to post a charge to the invoice
- Pay Invoice – allows you to post a payment to the invoice
- Close – allows you to exit the Invoice
The next tab with the Details for Invoice screen is the Transferred tab. This tab shows any charges that were transferred from a Guest Folio.
To view a breakdown of the transactions that were transferred, select the + sign located next to the Transfer Date. Here you can see the Room Charge of $212.00 + tax was transferred to this invoice.
If the amount transferred was incorrect, you can adjust the amount by clicking on the transaction and selecting Adjust Transferred Charge. To learn more about adjusting a transferred charge please see the article How to Adjust/Reverse a Charge in the City Ledger Manual.
Also within the Transferred tab there is a Transfer button. This transfer button allows you to transfer a transferred transaction, a payment or a charge to a different account OR a different invoice within the same account. To learn more about how to use the transfer feature, please see the corresponding "How to Transfer" articles in the City Ledger Manual.
The Payments tab displays all payments that have been made on the invoice (on the City Ledger).
The Charges tab displays all charges that were manually posted to the Invoice (on the City Ledger).
Charges can be reversed by right clicking on the transaction and selecting Reverse.
The Invoice Log tab shows a lot of all the transactions that have been done on this invoice. All transactions are date & time stamped and show the name of the clerk that performed the transaction.
The Notes tab allows notes that pertain to this specific invoice to be added. Notes added here are for internal communication only, and will not print out on any invoices or statements.
To add a note, select the New button in the top right hand corner of the screen and then type your note in the box below. Select the Save button that appears to save the note to the Invoice. All notes are time/date stamped and show the name of the clerk that posted the note.