In this article we show how to "Close" an existing City Ledger Account. As a City Ledger Account cannot be deleted once it has been created, you must instead close the account to prevent further usage.
What is the difference between Locking a City Account and Closing a City Account?
- Locking a City Account means the Front Desk can no longer perform transfers to the City Account. You can still post charges and payments from within the City Ledger, and make necessary changes to the account, but only from directly within the City Ledger Module
- Closing a City Account means that you are closing the account to everyone. Charges, payments, and changes to the account can no longer be performned unless it is reopened. It is closed to everyone. To close the account, it must be at a zero balance with no outstanding, open invoices.
Go to Operations > City Ledger and locate the City Ledger Account you wish to close. If you do not see the desired City Ledger Account in the list, it could be for one of two reasons:
- The City Ledger Account is Closed. In this case, select the Closed dial at the bottom of the screen to view all of your closed City Accounts.
- The City Ledger Account has a Zero Balance. In this case, check the Show Zero Balance Accounts check-box at the bottom of the screen to view all of your City Accounts, with or without a 0 balance.
Once you have located the desired City Account, ensure the black arrow is pointing towards it, then click the Close Account button.
A message will appear asking you to confirm that you wish to close the selected account. Select Yes to continue.
Important Note: Additional action will need to be taken to close a City Ledger Account if:
- There is an outstanding balance on the City Ledger Account
- The City Ledger Account is tied to a corporate account in the Corporate Module (Operations > Corporate), a Wholesaler Account in the Wholesaler Module (Operations> Wholesaler) or a Group Account in the Group Module (Operations> Groups)
- The City Ledger Account is tied to a checked-in or upcoming guest reservation.
When attempting to close a City Account with an open and outstanding balance, the following message will appear, advising you of the balance on the account. You will have the option to lock the City Account, preventing further transfers from the Front Desk while you settle the account. Once the account has been settled, it can then be closed.
When attempting to close a City Ledger Account that has active links, the City Ledger Account Link Status box will open, advising of any Corporate, Group or Wholesale Accounts that are linked (have Direct Billing) to it.
To view the account and reservations that will be affected by closing this account, click Print Conflicts.
When the Print Conflicts button is clicked, a list of all the active, dependent Accounts and Reservations attached to the City Account will display, allowing you to review them before taking further action to remove the links.
To proceed with removing all active links from all Accounts and Reservations, click Yes.
A message will appearing asking you to reconfirm that you wish to remove all links and close the City Ledger Account. Select Yes to continue, or No to exit without changing.
NOTE: Once the accounts have been removed, if you reopen the account again in the future, it will need to be re-attached to any Corporate or Wholesale accounts manually.
A final message will appear to let you know that the City Ledger Account was successfully closed.